Churches and Religious Institutions in Garngad, Provanmill
Townhead Parish Church (later TownheadBlockairn Church).
This church with its famous spire was opened in 1865. The
church was situated at the top of Garngadhill (Garngadhill
is one of 180 Drumlins, or hills, which were left after the
ice age by retreating glaciers, and at 252 feet is one of
the most prominent in the city). This was one of the few listed
buildings in the city and its spire dominates the east end
skyline. Its fine stained glass included a large pre-Raphaelite
window, the earliest William Morris work in situ in Glasgow
by almost 30 years. Part of the window was unusual in depicting
Christ sitting on a rainbow encircled by an orchestra of angels.
This church also had carved heads including those of John
Knox and Calvin by Mossman, the famous Glasgow sculptor. The
church was closed and suffered from vandalism and was sadly
demolished in (?). Sadly, although the Morris window was saved
and is in the custody of the City Museums, some priceless
Cottier glass was damaged during the removal. A local campaign
managed to save the spire and a little park has been opened.
The Catholic population was very large in this area and prior
to 1907 the Catholics had been served by St Mungos Church,
Parson St, Townhead. St. Mungos was the first Catholic
church on the north side of the city and was established by
the Irish Passionist Order who run this church till the present
St Rochs R. C. Church on Garngad Rd was established
in 1907 by Father (later Canon) Daniel Collins, a native of
Skibereen, Co. Cork, Ireland. The original building was intended
to become the church hall when a new church would be built
opposite. This never took place and the church was extended
in 1919 when a new sanctuary was built.
Blochairn Church was located side by side with St Rochs
Church at the corner of Garngad Rd and Blochairn Rd. It was
originally a mission of the Barony Church (called Barony free
Church) and was raised to full status as a church in 1877.
The church was demolished in 19 (?) and the congregation joined
forces with Townhead Parish to form TownheadBlochairn
The church at Tharsis St was originally St Rollox Church
(now at Sighthill) founded in 1855. This makes this United
Presbyterian Church the oldest in the area. The church building
opened in 1861. After St Rollox transferred to Sighthill the
Tharsis St building was run as a mission, under the guidance
of St Rollox Church. It was known as Garngad Christian Institute.
The Foundry Boys Religious Society was founded in Cowcaddens
in 1865 catering for the social and spiritual well-being of
boys who worked for men in city iron foundries. St Rollox
branch was founded in 1869 and first met in St Rollox School.
In 1873 it moved to Barony Free Church (Blochairn Church)
and in 1894 moved to the Tharsis building.
United Presbyterian Church (UP) later Primitive Methodist
Chapel was in Turner St.
Townhead Parish Territorial Mission Hall was on Cobden St.
St Philomenas Church, Provanmill, was opened in 1939
to meet the demands of the growing population in the Provanmill
Robroyston Blackhill area.
St Pauls Church of Scotland opened in Langdale St in
An order of French nuns, the Little Sisters of the Poor,
came to Garngadhill in 1864. Their mother house was at La
Tour, France. They first arrived at Wilson St in 1862. The
Sisters of Mercy were originally in the premises at Garngad.
The Little Sisters of the Poor administered to the aged and
sick of all denominations at St. Josephs Home until
1993 when they moved to Robroyston.
about Provanmill and Blackhill
about Garngad and Royston
about Garngad characters (Mick McLaughlan by Michael Keenan)
about politics in the area
about entertainment in the area
about sports in the area
about schools in the area
the 'Farewell to Garngad'
about a poet from 'Little Ireland'
the conclusion by writer James Friel
to history index page
to site index page